I’ve been waiting to post this one forever guys. I’m finally getting to it now that I have a computer again. Mine died several weeks ago and even my IT genius hubby couldn’t do anything about it, all of the stuff I had on that wasn’t backed up about a month and a half ago was just gone. Lots of work and edits, I was so sad. But here we are. New computer is here, I started again on my edits and it’s finally time to share these pics with you. The recipe is from Tieghan and her Half Baked Harvest blog, one of my favorite blogs ever. I cook a ton of her recipes and this one is my older sons favorite. He begs me to do it all the time. I made just a few tiny changes and I always do just depending on what I currently have in the fridge and the pantry. It is super adaptable and incredibly tasty and fun to eat!
Enchilada Rice Nacho Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice, dry
- 1 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- 2 cans (small) chopped green chiles
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Mexicana crema for serving
- freshly ground black pepper
- green onions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Saute ground beef in some olive oil in a large oven safe skillet. Add the onions and cook for about five minutes. Add the jalapeños, chopped green chiles, garlic, paprika, cumin, and salt, cook 1 minute. Season with freshly ground black pepper then stir in the enchilada sauce, chipotle chili, and 2 cups of water. Cook for 2-3 minutes then add the rice, stir well and lower the heat and cover and cook for 15 minutes until most of the liquid has cooked into the rice, but not all of it.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the lime juice and cilantro then sprinkle with half of the cheese. Arrange tortilla chips on the top and sprinkle everything with rest of the cheese then transfer to oven and let the cheese melt for about ten minutes.
- Serve with avocado, spring onions and Mexicana crema.